There are many gay prides but there is only one EuroPride. The EuroPride is a pan-European international event dedicated to LGBT pride and hosted by a different European city each year. Inaugurated in London in 1992, EuroPride has been hosted by many different cities already, and not only capital cities. This year the city of Riga Latvia be hosting EuroPride. Another European city so this year will be no exception, except that it is. Sort of. Because Riga is the capital city of Latvia and so for the very first time since regaining independence from the Soviet Union 25 years ago, Latvia will be the first post-Soviet country to host EuroPride.
It is not the first time a Pride will take place in Latvia. No, Riga's gay community has been marching the streets for a decade already. But it hasn't been easy. EuroPride 2015 will celebrate this decade of Pride in Riga, which started with 70 activists facing the fury of several thousands protesters. Now don't think that everything is well and good. Oh no. Because even though the gay community courageously continues to parade, the Latvia government is really not so charmed by it all. That doesn't stop the organization of EuroPride though. And so EuroPride 2015 will be writing history. This years EuroPride will be an opportunity to draw global attention to the region and stand in solidarity with those struggling to fight oppression of LGBT rights just across eastern border of Latvia. Indeed, in Russia. So you can imagine that the realization of this event is not only in the interest of Latvia. Not even only for Europe. No, it has a global impact. And therefor it is important we all support EuroPride 2015.
As said before EuroPride 2015 – Riga is not receiving any support from the Latvian government or any large corporations that that internationally position themselves as pioneers and champions of LGBT rights. What the organization needs most is money. Now don't laugh when I tell you how much. To make sure EuroPride 2015 will be a successful pride – the most successful LGBT event ever held in the Baltics – they need 82,500 USD. Really you say? Yes, really. That's all. 82,500 USD. And if more comes in, and there should, more events will be added to make sure the event will be vibrant and inspire thousands of LGBT community members in Latvia, the Baltics, Eastern Europe and beyond.
It is not my habit to ask you for anything but today I will. Donate. Be part of the change. Be the change. Make history. Here is how your contribution can help fund:
1. The longest and most important Pride Parade march in the Baltics to-date (previously the longest parade route in Riga was 550 meters). Total cost of the rally and the parade is 40,000 USD
2. Security for the rally for the local LGBT community and guests, which will be broadcasted online. Security of the event is 12,000 USD
3. Training and organization-building activities for at least 20 LGBT leaders from Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, and other former Soviet countries. To ensure safe and successful events we need additional 21,000 USD
4. Exhibition of LGBTI History in Latvia since the beginning of 20th Century. To stage the exhibitions we need additional 5,000 USD
5. Pride House with rich programme of inclusive workshops, film screenings, discussions and HIV testing point. To bring the rich programme full of events and to create a hub for volunteers and activists at the Pride House we still need additional 4,500 USD
6. Many other events and activities that will help EuroPride 2015 – Riga to achieve change not only in Latvia but in the entire region.
Be the Change! Make History! Changing history is hot! –BM-
How to reach EuroPride 2015 and connect:
EuroPride 2015 website: www.europride2015.eu
EuroPride 2015 Facebook page: www.facebook.com/EuroPride2015
EuroPride 2015 Pride Parade Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/636904136414039/
EuroPride 2015 Twitter page: www.twitter.com/EuroPrideRiga
Tweet and Facebook your support, using hashtag #EP15Riga.
Tweet: I stand for Equality and Human Rights! I supported @europrideriga because Changing history is hot! #EP15Riga
BEAUTIFULMAG | Everything That Is